Monday, January 19, 2009

Facebook

Nearly my whole family is on Facebook. Now, I joined Facebook when my youngest child, Megan, went away to college. She was going to Rochester Institute of Technology, in Rochester, NY. In case you don't know where that is, think of Niagara Falls. Well, Rochester is about 40 miles south. Rochester is the city where Kodak is headquartered. Anyway, Megan was going far away, for the first time in her life. I wanted a way to keep in touch (read 'stalk') with her, that didn't involve phone calls, because she is not real good about returning calls, and I really didn't want to disturb her studies. So, first I joined My Space, but there wasn't much going on there. Then, when Megan was a junior, I learned about Facebook. Let me tell you...there is such a thing as too much knowledge. I found out things about Megan that I really didn't need to know. Oh, not terrible things, just things like underwear dance parties, and then later, driving over to Canada where the drinking age is 19. Now, she and her friends always had a designated driver, but still.

After I was on Facebook for a while, one of the young guys I worked with sent me a "Friends" invitation. From there, I was able to connect with another young guy that had worked at the store a couple of summers while he went to school. Oh, boy! MORE kids to stalk. Then I found out that most of my nephews and nieces also have Facebook pages, along with my older brother, my sister-in-law, my stepdaughter, Lizz, my oldest daughter, Jessica and on and on. Now I have about 20 friends, some are related to me, and some are people with whom I went to high school and had not seen in more than 30 years. What fun it is to be able to get in touch again, and even to "chat" in real time!

Now my father is on Facebook. He's stalking the kids and grandkids. It's a hoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment